Davidson College is a TIP campus, often called a rite of passage. Located near Charlotte, North Carolina, it is attended by rising eighth grade and some rising ninth grade tipsters. Davidson college has air conditioning, indoor dances, Summerfest, and RCs who say "y'all" all the time and we can never take them seriously. Seriously.
- 1 Campus Information
- 2 2015 Term 1
- 3 2009 Term 2
- 4 2012 Term 2
- 5 2013 Term 2
- 6 2014 Term 1
- 7 2014 Term 2
- 8 2016 Term 1
- 9 2016 Term 2
- 10 Courses
- 11 Other Dorms
- 12 Traditions of Davidson
- 13 Suggested items to bring that are not on the packing list
- 14 Miscellaneous
Davidson College is a nationally recognized, highly selective independent liberal arts college located just about 20 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina, in the town of Davidson. The College enrolls 1700 students and to date, Davidson students have garnered 23 Rhodes Scholarships. The intimate, picturesque 450-acre campus in a small town provides a nurturing and supportive environment for talented young Duke TIP participants.
The Duke TIP at Davidson program offers a broad curriculum including algebra, geometry, natural and physical sciences, introductory psychology and philosophy courses, and a variety of humanities classes. Approximately 200 students attend each term. This TIP site is open to students in grades 7 and 8.
Davidson College is located in the town of Davidson, North Carolina, which, coincidentally enough, is not in the nearby county of Davidson. Here is the town's official web page.
Most years, TIP uses Davidson's largest dorm, Belk Residence Hall as the main residence facility; though in 2004, TIP used Richardson, Irwin, Akers, and Knox. These four dorms are recognized by Davidson students as the worst on campus. The last three are known collectively as Down the Hill. In 1999 and 2011, TIP resided in Cannon and Sentelle dorms.
Davidson's most notable feature is air-conditioning. It is so strong that leaving it on at the lowest setting all night will leave you freezing in the morning. (It is also quite loud!)
There are sinks in every room, except in the dorms Down the Hill.
Belk has five floors including the basement. (The sub-basement contains the computer lab but no residential facilities. The sub-basement would be the sixth floor. There is another basement below that contains only the ice machine.) The basement, first, and fourth floors each have one big lounge, and the second and third floors each have two lounges.The fourth floor ,however, is for instructors and TAs only. The basement also has a few rooms with private sinks. Vending machines are located in the basement. The building is usually split up into two wings, East and West. (West points toward Main Street, while East points toward the Union.)
There is a laundry service that can be ordered at the beginning of the term (currently $40/term; checks payable to Davidson College--credit cards are NOT accepted), so that you never have to do your laundry--just drop it off at the laundry building right by the dorm and pick it up in the afternoon! Dirty clothes can be dropped off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. Upon drop off, clean sheets can be picked up immediately. On-campus laundry facilities are available to students who do not purchase the laundry service. Duke TIP strongly encourages students to use the service so as to maximize social interaction and free time.
Lights Out and How to Escape It
St Louis Missouri FTW
Lights out is at 10:45. However, if you really want to stay up (or especially have DEBATE speeches to type!) (Debate Class Click Here That's Debatable ) use these tips to get away from the RCs, and they can't get you busted: 1
The RC main lights out check is the "peephole check". Generally, peepholes have a reverse reflection, so when you look into one from the outside, you'll see light. This is is however actually from the hallway, so you never know if the lights are on inside the room or not, GENERALLY. At Davidson, the peepholes are translucent, so RCs will be able to see if your lights are still on. Dangerous. Solution: Put one piece of tape on a quarter, and attach above the peephole, so when the RCs look through, they can only see darkness. This also allows for easy access to see who's knocking because all you need to do is just lift the quarter. My personal favorite is to use a crumpled paper towel, however. It is a easily accessible item and can be used with ease
Continuation of the light check, even if your peephole is covered, the RCs can still get you in another way: under the door (light leaks out of the crack under the doors, so RCs will see. Solution: use a pair of black pants and stuff them under the door. Be sure to lock the door so the RC can get into your room just by turning the handle.
Sound: RCs put their ears up to the door and listen for a few seconds, then go on to the next doors. So starting at 10:40, YOU need to be quiet. Like silent. I was watching a Obama-Romney Debate to prepare for the next day's debate, volume at 1 bar, and I got frickin caught. Made up a quick excuse, but would've been better without. Solution: STFU and use earbuds. Don't turn on the water. Turn the A/C on high to make the loud fan cover up any mishaps.
Finally, if you're in the hallway, they'll get you in trouble, despite if it's going to the restroom. Solution: Turn you sink on for circulation on low so there's no sound, carefully use a rolly chair to mount and stand onto the counter. Aim, then piss into the sink. Very convenient when you have to type till 1:00 in the morning.
If an RC does knock on your door. 1. Turn off all electronics. 2. Turn off all lights. 3. Mess up your bed sheets so that they think you just climbed out of bed. 4. Messup your hair. 5. Make up an excuse and you'll be fine.
To be extra safe use the spy cam method. NOTE: This should only be used if you are staying up very late. 1) Take your phone and put auto lock to never 2) Find a piece of heavy duty tape 3) Position you phone's camera so you can see outside with the camera 4) Tape it down 5) Plug it into the outlet near the sink so you don't run out of battery I don't use this very often (duh) but you can use a simpler method. When you suspect that someone is outside, turn off the light and rip off the quarter or paper towel. Open the camera app and position it so that you can see the outside. Check to see if the coast is clear the turn on the light. This hack helped me pinpoint the RC who kept on checking on us at night. Use it to learn of your RC's methods to check on you after lights out.
Cheers as of Term 1 2015! Y
^You do realize that pretty much all of the staff from term 1 know about tipwiki because of all of the edits that were being made on the last couple of days
P.S. ALL: I do realize that, thanks for stating the obvious, keyboard. I felt it was a good chance to help fellow TIPsters who needed some assistance, doing my part on this wiki yo. RCs: If you guys want to put down some of your own checkin methods, feel free, but I wouldn't understand why because you want the kids asleep. Oh well.
Your RC group can choose to take trips to CVS Pharmacy.
You can occasionally visit the local coffee shop, Summit as well.
Classes take place in Chambers (main class building) and Watson (Science-y building).
Most meals take place in Vail dining commons.
A lot of activities take place in the Union (Davidson).
Also, don't touch the trees or the sacred grass!!!
2015 Term 1
YAO MING AND CARD GAMES.
Almost all of the Tipsters had sex.
Everyone wore drag on backwards day.
Trying to walk through the hallways during free time was like trying to walk through really thick mud - except the mud was fifty people playing ERS and Speed and Mao.
All of the lounges smelled really bad for some reason.
Beyoncé was a banned word in Creative Writing: Express Yourself (Davidson).(We called it the "B word" and we replaced "Beyoncé with BÆTOVEEN // Nacho)
We also managed to get the name Billy banned on one of the floors.
Somehow Aayush became a god and had people that worship him.
That sums up most of these 3 weeks... Don't forget about the illuminati
we also must never forget the wrath of Billy especially his time during Blue Team team time, practicing the chants.
floor 2 was The social hallway. it was always jam packed w people. -Lindsay
바보 ㅋㅋㅋ (Chris and Nacho)
ALSO BECKY AND NACHO GOT MARRIED ON THE LAST DAY
I like how all the other terms are nicely in a row and some intellectual decided to put ours in front. And Term 2 2015 is missing entirely. What happened to them? Did we screw up so much they cancelled it? That would not surprise me at all, somehow.
2009 Term 2
In the beginning of the term, Keegan Dent (a.k.a. Spermicus) of Matt's RC group began the religion of Mathiscism, a religion with the goal of worshiping Judge Greg Mathis. Every day at 4:00pm, Matt's RC group would take the 4th floor (girls) lounge and watch the prophet speak. Second to Pope Spermicus was High Priest Michael Gohlke, who would hide in the cabinet underneath the television and wait until the words "The Prophet" were spoken. He would then Burst out of the cabinet and scream, "JUDGE GREG MATHIS!!!", thus scaring the girls "straight into menstruation." By the end of the term, the religion was widely adapted by the guys, and widely despised by the girls. Oddly enough, Pope Spermicus retired near the end of the term, handing most responsibilities to High Priest Gohlke. Pope Spermicus relinquished his duties for the courtship of one of the Amathists (Mathis Haters). The religion ended as quickly as it began. Watch out West Term 2... you're next for Mathiscism. (This TiPster remembers the aforementioned mathisicism, and is pretty sure that was term 1, not term 2)
2012 Term 2
Best Term Ever!
- Ducks in a barrel
- dark dances
- ruining the "It's the End of the World" spinning at dances
- scavenger hunts
- Forbidden Grass
- Sacred Trees
- The PopTart Song (Written by Abbey's RC group)
- Neil Patrick Harris (Abbey's RC group)
- Sheldon! (Abbey's RC group)
- Andrew Garfield
- To the basement!
- Soft Kitty Revolution
2013 Term 2
Lots of jokes around...
- TIPuns everywhere,
- Sweaty dances,
- SydnAustin and other shipping
- Third Floor Stink,
- Don't touch the trees~
- Tennis players walked on forbidden grass!
- Theory that tennis players would turn purple
- We don't give a firetruck!,
- Cheese fries,
- Dan the man,
- Man dress and pirate pants,
- Frank's tutu,
- SIDE HUG,
- Green team doesn't want to live in a yellow submarine,
- flash flood after term two,
- Tong's Rubik's cube,
- I Knew You Were Trouble (feat. screaming goat)
- U Can't Touch This,
- Open your doors!,
- The Great Rubber Ducky Race
- Rainy baseball games,
- YEFRI PEREZ,
- smart people at nerd camp waiting to Time Warp to next year.
- and of course, The Society!
2014 Term 1
- The Cult of Davidson consisting of Remy, Ani, Ryan, Elizabeth, Alli, Olivia, Nia, Daniela, Jesse, Rohaan, and Liz
- Squad A5 -  Consisted of Kyle, Justin, Injoo, Jason, and other Justin
- The D Crew 
- Everyone go to Duke West Campus next year
- Nicolas' Rubik's Cube
- Destiny's Children (David's RC Group)
- Puddi Puddi
- ICE CREAM SCOOP
- The known canoodling students of Belk basement lounge *cough cough Remy, Elizabeth, Ani, and Ryan along with their cult (The Cult of Davidson)
- MPS vs. EPS Frisbee Game. MPS won the first game and EPS won the second, but MPS scored more points total
- Staff V Students Frisbee Game - Students scored 5 points, twice as much as the record, students led by the Dream Team
- Dream Team- Justin, Injoo, Jeremy, Yasin (Shawn), Michael, Andrew, Robert (The Man), and Elias
- Single Ladies
- Devil's Piss
- Maxley Cyrus won TIPSync. Maxley Cyrus, you're my hero!
-  Eduardo will be in our hearts, forever
- WHERE IS CASEY!?!?
- Rohaan's creepy basketball girlfriend, Allie, still haunts our dreams at night
- Pedro's hot pink nails will always be the peak of Duke TIP fashion
- The Richard Couple's nails were WAY hotter than Pedro's
- China hunts all the couples down, so be careful when you cuddle(ITS THE CCC, CHINA CUDDLE COP)
- DAME MAS GASOLIIIIINA
- Basketball girls asking to come to the Destiny's children dorms
- Ryan's mad obsession with buttons (He had 90+)
- 게세끼 사랑해요 (gesekki salanghaeyo)
- If you wanna be my lover, you gotta first climb these stairs, These stairs last forever, you'll die in the ennndd!
- Seriously, stairs suck
- Jorge and Eduardo do the seizure at the dance in turn down for what
- Jason's pecs
- Jason's bald spot
- Awkward slow dances:
- I ship it like FedEx
- Cute slow dances:
The sacred ritual of honey bun parties
- The wheels on the bus go square square square (Ashley's RC group)
- Cheetahs!!!!!!!! (Ashley's RC Group)
Cutest Couple: Ryan and Ani sorry i dont make the rules
2014 Term 2
- Billboards and Scissors LLC
- The Cafe
- My Turtle Swims Sideways(From Zack's RC Group)
- Patryn (it should've been real)
- Engineering Problem Solving Gentlemen dance during the talent show
- the wave of seizures during "turn down for what"
- bye bye miss American pie (insert tears here)
- Slytherin's cup domination during Summerfest
- 2nd floor lounge is where it's at
- TINA'S WRATH IS NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED
- two seals were lying in a tub of waaaaaaaaaarm crisco.....(this goes for all TIPsters)
- HAND CHECK!
- turn down for bedtime
- time lord
- cranberry satan
- Ben and Jerry's +... The LEGO Movie?
- very out of sync version of the Macarena during the last 2 dances
- Slytherin, SlytherOUT (courtesy of Ashely's group)
- black George W. Bush
- I'm gonna find this OBE-city and nuke it, 'cause we have reasons to believe that it's a trading ground for Al Qaeda
- you must wear shoes in the halls
- World Cup during break (and class)
- The Writing Class's Screaming Bunnies
- Mini Golfing (As a total par is 45 but Eleanor from Channon's RC group got a 95)
- EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!
- 1st floor AXE and airfreshner cloud of suffocation
- 3rd floor girls giving the 1st floor boys makeovers
2016 Term 1
- The jellyfish
- Squid Squad
- Axe/Febreeze bomb war
- Death stairs
- Tiara girl
- the hole on the 3rd floor
- no hanky panky!
- Single Ladies + Chezus
- Hula Hooping Indian Squad
- Green Trains
2016 Term 2
- Hand Games
- Modern Law Squad
- TIP Cults
- Annie's Tiara (google "Miami Tiara Girl")
- Modern Law Squad (MLS)
- Home Slice
- The weird nail polish cult
- Rolly chair bumper car races
- Can it be done?
- Psychas/ American Pies (the best squad ever)
The following courses are offered at the Davidson Campus (as of 2014).
- Algebra II: Term II only?
- Architecture: Terms I and II
- Animal Behavior Term II only
- Business Strategy: Beyond the Lemonade Stand (Davidson) Terms I and II
- Creative Writing: Express Yourself (Davidson) Terms I and II
- Cryptography, Codebreaking, and the Mathematics of Spying Terms I and II
- Engineering Problem Solving Terms I and II
- Geometry: Term I only
- Introduction to Laboratory Sciences: Terms I and II
- Mathematical Problem Solving Terms I and II
- Mock Trial Terms I and II
- Modern Medicine: Disease and Immunology (Davidson) Terms I and II
- Psychology Terms I and II
- Shakesperience: From the Page to the Stage Terms I and II
- That's Debatable Terms I and II
- The Brain, Intelligence, and Creativity
- Zoological Studies: Evolution and Extinction on Planet Earth (Davidson) Term I only
- Constitutional Law First offered 2016
- The Origins Of Modern Law: Time and Punishment Terms I and II 
Other Dorms include dorms in use by crazy sports camps (soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, swimming, and football) and the Love of Learning people who like to take our computer lab, and the July Experience program, which, without fail, is always in the library during Term II. (Never saw them Davidson Term 2 2012) You can always run into people giving tours of the campus as well as another program that sponsors foreign students. In Term II of 2009, the other dorms were used as Quarantine, or QuaranTiP, as some preferred to call it, for the unfortunate students that contracted flu or swine flu.
- also please note that if you ever make fun of the boys at basketball camp by imitating their use of the word "dude" they will most likely reply with a clever "uh.. ur at math camp"
Traditions of Davidson
- Indoor dances
- Last Night (not much happens anymore)
- Talent Show
- End-of-Term slideshow
- Official TIP Songs:
Move a tradition to this section if you know it's common to both terms.
Likewise, if you see a tradition that's not in your term, move it to the other.
- Basement Bash
- PANTS BASKETS!
- Photo Scavenger Hunt
Suggested items to bring that are not on the packing list
- Handtowels and soap for the in-room sink
- Nail clippers
- Reading lamp/lighbulb for desk or to attach to bed as the only light in the room is overhead
- Water bottles (a case or two)
- Wipes to clean drawers and surfaces before use--lots of crumbs and gunk left behind
- Bucket for toothbrush and toothpaste to leave at sink
- Plastic cups
- Trash Bags
|2006||Term II 2006 email|
|2006||The adventures of an RC group|