Creative Writing: Express Yourself (Davidson)
A class in which you write. Kind of self-explanatory.
2018 Term 2
- Josh (Instructor) - hates us all, but that’s a Russian hug. We hate you too, Josh ;)
- Lexie (TA) - Stacey helped her to embrace her inner Madame Hawk
- Miller - sick raps + art on people’s workshop pieces; the og shame
- Karen - oh kAREN, your Ninja reactions are the best haha
- Stacey - the new Madame Hawk, also supplying everyone with snacks and screaming yeet all the time, also frantically waving at Josh and calling Lexie everything she didn’t want to be called . (poor thing) also always calling everyone NERDS simply for fun (we are, aren’t we?)
- Kendall - always either questioning everything or forgetting her questions
- Michael - really thiccq also betrayed us all on crunch vs munch, also dating BOTTOM TEXT MEMES
- Peter - always texting in the chat after tip: WHAT ARE WE IN THE HALLWAYS CLASS at about 6pm every day
- Seoyoon - soy oon
- Ainsley -> Toby -> Tobias - always walked in with more writing on skin and clothing than before, aLSO was the best distraction ever ~yOWL~
- Reagan - deepest darkest thoughts, talking about torture methods with Kendall at lunch
- Marissa - probably the most innocent one of all
- Drew - “IM TELLING YOU HES A GHOST”
- Julia - really good love poem + using Skype during class
- Awo - kept Tobias from going insane
- Phoebe -
- Neha -
- Audrey -
- Absolutely silent > absolutely nothing > absolutely > abs > abdominal muscles
- psych started hating us lol
- ”sorry, I don’t speak psycho”
- YOU DO THE HOKEY POKEY AND YOU TURN YOURSELF AROUND
- Josh: “NO”
- Lexie is a beautiful, beautiful hawk
- One-word stories
- One-word poems, which were even worse than one-word stories
- Once a day I am bewildered
Lawkions fly through the sky Ravens build a foundation for iHob Wolves dance at the moonlight DOOR
- SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME
- being shamed when walking back from chambers for he final time as a class
- ”everyone, don’t buy smoothies or milkshakes”
- everyone ordered smoothies or milkshakes
- Lexie and Love Crunch are in a relationTIP
- Stacey is literally a meme
- screaming YEET
- sharks and snakes
- we were all sh00keth when josh and briana said they aren’t cousins (they always will be in our hearts though)
- CRUNCH OR MUNCH & “that kid with the phone”
- when Phoebe and Reagan and Kendall went around throwing the puffball at everyone (mainly Miller and Michael)
- Tobias’s MWAOWAOWAOWAAO thing (yowling)
- the theories about Arnold Friend (HES A GHOST)
- THE LITERARY THROWDOWN (go queenz of $a$$!)
- interrogation. every. day.
- everyone trying to figure out Lexie’s band name and asking for credit card numbers or CVV’s to eliminate the veto (Michael I’m looking at you you little snake)
- when Seoyoon brought a ball and Reagan turned it into a game of “hit Michael and Miller and really everyone in the face”
- Julia eating cereal at lunch
- and Miller arguing about how wrong it was
- Josh actually gave us his credit card number
- what are the past and future tenses of yeet?
- if you’re a real crunchie you spell thicc with 2 c’s and a q =
- basically becoming term 1
- Lexie’s fresh dumpster fashion!1!1!1!!1!1!!
- ”hi ma’am”
- spicY MEMESSSSSSSS
- making 60+ memes at midnight for the class
- Josh not letting us show them
- DON’T STEP ON THE ELEVATED BRICK!
- being the writers that we are, everyone enjoying the time spent in computer labs
2018 Term 1
- Josh (instructor who hated literally all of us.)
- Lexie (TA with copious amounts of talent. Also a beautiful, beautiful hawk.)
- Grey (once forgot what the floor was.)
- Danielle (makes an excellent replacement Josh.)
- Gates (writes good fantasy and has a fun name.)
- Samantha (obsessed with Beyoncé even though it was illegal.)
- Matthew (who could not invite the Flat Earth Society to the picnic. Made the most iconic Instagram page of all time.)
- Sarah (legally ordained minister, published author, and niece of... interesting... uncles.)
- Kaitlyn (laughs like the dog from the Vine.)
- Macie (apparently phobic of balloons.)
- Jeanna (makes abnormally colorful drinks.)
- Elena (dutifully mothered Grey on multiple occasions.)
- Pixley (can play Africa on guitar.)
- Allie (also writes good fantasy and probably the least hated by Josh.)
- Trystyn (wrote everything depressing and a diss track to the English language.)
- Olivia (has a deeply moving performance poem/cough.)
- Megan (from Houston, Texas, baby, and the only one with any remnant of actual sanity.)
- Beyoncé is banned
- Where are you going? Where have you been?
- My Strange Addiction
- Isn’t it ironic? Don’t you think?
- “I now pronounce you Josh and Josh. You may now kiss the Josh.”
- The Coffee Shop=actual heaven
- Mafia, the Picnic, and various others
- Olivia’s cough
- HI JOSH
- Never knowing what was happening, ever
- FISHTANK OF RAGE
- “Her eyes were like two brown circles with black dots in the center.”
- Olive Garden
- “We see the unlimited stick. It is infinite, it is all.”
- Victorium Cagnum
- The Dabbit
- “Welcome to McDonalds, can I take your McOrder?”
- Community of Repressed Emos…
- No disclaimers. Absolutely none.
- Lexie. Lexie. LEXIE.
- Lexi with no e.
- Pen names
- Macie’s pen
- Kaitlyn and the desks
- Macie with an -ie
- The Office (Parks and Rec is better)
- A beautiful, beautiful hawk.
- Grey in general tbh
- Meaningful Ambiguity
- Billy Collins
- Destiny’s Child.
- Crime scene descriptions
- The cheerleader
- Kaitlyn’s socks
- “No. Never. I quit.” - Josh
- Olivia and distractions
- Mock workshop overall
- BEN AND JERRYS WAS CLOSED
- (almost a year later and I just remembered in the middle of Publix) trying to decode Josh’s tattoo
- This was a freewrite. Thank you.
- No, really. Josh hates us.
CREATIVE WRITING ASSEMBLE! We read and we write! Why? Because it’s on the course description.
2016 Term 2
- Meg (instructor)
- Megan (TA)
- Jackson H.
- Melodious Milkville
- the Blackbird gang that strikes fear into the hearts of innocent MM citizens
2016 Term 1
- Meg (Instructor)
- Megan (TA)
- Green Trains
- The Subsequent Ban on Green Trains and other forms of specifically-colored transportation (chartresuse canoes, pink motorcycles, etc.)
- Thirteen Ways of...
- Dandelion Puff
- Tip UN
- Meese Cult
- Meese Cult Resistance
- The Land Of Snog
- Hannah's Morbid Stories
2015 Term 1
- Shining Phoenix (Chloe, teacher who loved the game Werewolf)
- Mild Tortoise (Camily, TA who somehow didn't go insane from stress)
- Sassy Crab (Carson, the creator of nicknames)
- Chattering Parrot (Agastya, lovable know-it-all)
- Ecstatic Donkey (Sunny, enjoys laughing and saying "OH MY GOOOOOOD")
- Golden Leopard (Rory, has blue eyes)
- Leaping Bullfrog (JJ, has a godly voice)
- Smiling Jackal (Claire, survivor of Austrailia)
- Happy Monkey (Vicky, likes hugs and bursting into tears)
- Baby Tiger (Julia, known for writing relatively happy stories with extremely dark twists)
- Blind Crane (Nacho, has awesome hair and singing skills)
- Silent Chamelion (Evie, rad af)
- Mysterious Penguin (Ayla, good at finger smiling and watching children sleep)
- Mountain Goat (Robert, lover of multiple animes)
- Awkard Platypus (Sydney, soon-to-be professional ketchup artist)
- Fighting Lobster(Eli, not-so-secretly a dinosaur)
- Beyoncé (Honorary)
- Village of Bakers
- the B-word (the ban of Beyoncé)
- JJ killing off his main characters
- Agastya's ego
- "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS!"
- finger smiling
- Carson's face drawing (the guy with the big "nose")
- the Australian(s)<- Claire survived it all
- Blue Eyes
- JJ's Podcast 
- JJ, the magazine
- everyone loves Nacho
- yaaas cat
- pick up lines
- finish the heart
The audience was Big Data, and EPS for a few minutes (just long enough for Sydney to read her story in front of Joel!). Most of the RC's that people wanted to come came to see the whole production. Overall, it was kind of awkward, and many had the urge to raise their hands to workshop their colleagues' works. Also, it was revealed that JJ kills off the dog and mother (who smells like pancakes) in his story.
Thoughts on the class
It was extremely fun, we learned so much in a short time. Reading the short stories were awesome, The Lottery and A Rose For Emily evoking a lot of creepy feelings. We did a lot of projects too, like the sonnets, the magazine, our portfolio, workshop, etc. We had lots of breaks where some people begged to go outside. Elbow tag was the best game ever (except if you were tired and didn't like to run). Overall, class was never boring, there were great song request, and somehow, 14 brilliant brains learned to work together.
If you have an inside joke or just any thoughts about this class please add it.
I could tell our favourite, awkward platypus wrote this before I even checked. Poor Eli, his secret is revealed to the world. You should really think more of other's privacy. And possibly consider posting your ketchup art online. It would garner much attention, I'm sure. Another thing- where's term 2 for this class? Where's Term 2 2015 in general? Oh, and this video is still amazing. I didn't expect it from JJ either.
2013 Term 2
The Collective Collective <--pretty much the most awesome group of writers you'll find